Friday, November 14, 2008

The Journey of a Lifetime

Morning. Time to get in the car and make the drive. I know it so well that I could probably make it with my eyes closed if I need to. Ah, the life of commuting to school; it’s a strange journey with great rewards at the end of the trip. This is just part of what makes my MtA experience my own. There are other people who make this same trip everyday, but everyone gets something different out of it.

If you’re planning on joining me on this journey I suppose that we need to get the formalities out of the way. My name is Victoria Stroud (that sounds like proud) and I am a fourth year double major finishing degrees in Psychology and Religious Studies, as well as being one of the mature students here at Mount A. What does mature student mean? Well, I am not your typical student even though I may blend right in with the rest of the population; I am 27 and made the decision to finish my degree in order to open doors for myself in the future.

My university experience actually started almost 10 years ago when I decided to go to university right out of high school just like all my friends; but that was not the right time for me to take in everything that it means to be a university student. So, with the push of a very close friend I made the jump and applied to Mount A, a decision that I have never regretted. Even though I came here with a plan things changed and I have decided to go down another path, hence the double major. Its one of the things that I love about Mount A; that they want to create well rounded individuals, so creating degrees that are all your own is easy.

The life of a mature student is not the same as the rest of the student body. I have all the everyday adult responsibilities that I need to balance, like working and paying the bills, along with all the work that comes from my classes. It was hard at first but as time went on I found my groove which allowed me the freedom to feel like I was part of the Mount A community without neglecting everything else in my life. I decided that I wanted to make the most of my final year so I’ve taken on the role of Vice-President of ALOMA (Adult Learners Association of Mount Allison), became a peer tutor and joined the Psychology and Religious Studies societies. I am also writing this blog to help you (yes, you!) find out what its like to be a student here at Mount A.

So what else can I say? I could go on and on, but I think that I’ll leave that for another time. So check back later and I’ll have more stories of the comings and goings of life here at Mount A.

Ciao!

Victoria

1 comment:

Paula said...

And all the mature students said..."Amen".