Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Seuss Day!!


For those of you who are unaware it's Dr. Seuss' birthday today! When I was young one of my favorite books was The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. It was one of the more obscure tales, not at all like the Cat in the Hat or Green Eggs and Ham that my friends loved. It is a story very pertinent to our times I think. The general concept is that of a guy telling his story of industry and greed (I do have to say that the idea of having one of the mass produced Thneeds is intriguing). The Lorax brings a warning, speaking for the trees (or environment), of what could happen if things were not to change. Of course at the end of the story the land is destroyed and the guy advises that the boy listening should plant a seed. The Lorax's last word of "Unless" is what needs to be remembered when it comes to our own environmental reality.

Now, on to something completely different....spring break is over so here's the recap. After the monstrous storm that we had at the beginning of the week I spent the majority of the rest of the week working on assignments (during the days at least). I did manage to get to 3 movies: Coraline 3-D, Gran Torino and Confessions of a Shopaholic. I would highly recommend them all, especially Gran Torino, if you're looking for a good movie. Friday afternoon I drove to Fredericton to pick up my younger brother from UNB so he could come home for a weekend at the start of his spring beak.
So now we're Monday and not off to a great start. I woke up this morning to a warning saying that there was going to be freezing rain. I made my way down to campus but ended up heading home after only attending one class because the weather was getting to be too poor. So here I am at home - still working, just a different environment. The next few weeks are going to be crazy ones with the bulk of my assignments being due before the end of the term rolls around.

Until then!
Victoria


If you'd like to read The Lorax it's avilable online at:
http://curtisvc.tripod.com/lorax/lorax.htm

No comments: