Friday, January 16, 2009

Here are a few of my favorite things....

Ok so I know it sounds like I'm going to talk to you about the Sound of Music but I'm not. Since we're still not too far into the winter term I thought that maybe this would be a good time to share some of my favorite things. When you're a student you have plenty to keep you occupied - school, activities, friends, etc. But sometimes you just need to do some things for yourself. So I thought that I would break down a list of things that I like (which are non-school related); some you might like, some you might not, but hey people always say to share so here we go!
1) Books - I'm not the most avid reader in the world (besides what I'm required for classes) and I tend to read what some would call "fluff" otherwise; but right now I have to say that my reading selections are anything other than. My boyfriend made the decision to give me George Orwell's Animal Farm and 1984 for Christmas. I was a little unsure before I got going but Animal Farm was interesting and now that I'm into 1984 I understand why so many people either love or hate it.
2) Music - my taste in music is eclectic and I tend to listen to just about anything (with a few exceptions). I am a big Beatles fan and have almost all of the albums to listen to. When I had a rough day and I need to calm down its all about Jack Johnson; he's cool and calming. Most of the time it's really a mix, usually dance music....I almost hate to admit it but the new Britney Spears is pretty catchy.
3) Television - ok so I know as a student you'll have little time for t.v. or you won't have cable which limits your viewing abilities but being able to stop your work for an hour to go watch a show I find is a great break. House M.D. is by far my favorite show on right now. There is great writing, great characters and I sometimes feel smarter after the show has ended. Now I do watch other things:ER, Law & Order: SVU...see a pattern :P Like most girls I do have guilty pleasure shows (you know the ones I'm talking about - they're brainless and you only watch them for fun). Well right now mine is the Bachelor (I know some of you probably thought I would say American Idol but unlike the 98% of people who watch it, I can't stand it).
4) Movies - Last but not least by far my favorite way to spend my time. I love going to the movies or watching them at home. I have so many favorites that it's hard to choose them, but there are a few that I think everyone should see (and they're not all old classics):Seven which is my favorite movie gives you the chance you use your brain while you enjoy the spoils of a psychological thriller; Mamma Mia! and Rent, two different ends of the spectrum - one is just for fun while the other deals with some issues in a very different way; Saved!, not much to say but that give it a chance (a friend of mine kept lending his copy to other people and has replaced it 4/5 times because people don't want to give it back); pretty much anything with Johnny Depp or by Tim Burton because they're both fantastic in their own ways; and last but not least BATMAN! I think everyone should see them all because they are all unique but if you need to choose everyone should see the Dark Knight because its amazing in all ways, and the original Adam West/Burt Ward movie and/or series because its just so retro.
That's my list! Let me know what you would put on your own lists!
'till next time - ciao!

No comments: